Thursday, August 5, 2010

Walking for a Cure!

MONTHS ago, I committed myself to a walk to end Breast Cancer! I've had family friends and loved ones, like my grandmother that have been dealt the BC card. My grandmother, Jean, was one of the lucky ones who survived her bout with Breast Cancer and is going on 17 years CANCER FREE. Others aren't so lucky.
The Susan G. Komen 3 Day for the Cure, is a 60 mile walk over the course of 3 days where participants raise money to help this amazing cause to END Breast Cancer. If not for organizations such as this, I may not have my grandmother, a woman who helped my parents raise me, whom I spent my first 3 years with Daily! This woman is an inspiration to me and Everyone she meets and I'm so thankful to have her in my life!
I'm bringing all this up because I failed to train in a timely manner for this extensive walk...I was up for two hours last night thinking of what I need to do, how hard I need to work to help myself do this walk. I'm trying not to doubt my abilities and I'm trying to work hard now to catch up and make myself do this! When you break it down, I need to be able to walk a steady 20 miles for 3 Consecutive days...that's a lot of walking! I told myself 6 months ago that I could do this, that it would be motivation enough to get my ass in shape, but apparently I let myself down! This is an amazing cause and I let myself get LAZY! (It does NOT help that its up to 110 degrees here in Phoenix now)
This morning I decided to get on the ball, to get on the treadmill and Jog...I got a half mile before I scummed to the HEAT at 95 degrees at 8:30am this morning. At this rate I will never get my butt in shape and I will not be in shape enough for a walk of this magnitude! I need to start waking up before baby and get out there when the sun hasn't peaked the horizon. Getting up that early is hard though when I'm up at least twice a night with the little one...but I CAN DO IT!!! ENCOURAGEMENT is what I need I think and Time (Which is now only 15 weeks from walk weekend).
Another thing I need to get done is my emails for donations! I have to finish putting together this letter and send it out already...I want to raise as much as I can, a minimum of $2300 before the walk! If anyone wants to donate, even the smallest amount, send me your email so I can forward you the letter (which i need to compose still), and the link to the site where you can make your donations. EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS!
Thank you for letting me get on my soap box for a while...I know it's not the most exciting of topics for everyone but there it is!
AMANDA

No comments:

Post a Comment